9.18.2011

Abandoned Industrial Buildings in Mansfield

I came home this weekend to visit my parents.  On the way, I was really hoping to visit the Ohio State Reformatory in Mansfield.  It's a very old prison that is no longer in service, but there is a preservation society that keeps it together and gives tours.  I've been there before, but never with good camera equipment.  It's truly an amazing experience.


By the way, if this place looks familiar, it is a location where many films and videos have been shot.  Most notable is The Shawshank Redemption.  If you would like to learn more about the prison's role in The Shawshank Redemption, see this very cool link.

But they are unfortunately closed to tours at this time of year.  So I really couldn't get any good photos, which was disappointing.  Its a fantastic place for photos, especially the interior.  Expect to see some great photos from me of this place when they are open again for tours.

So after the disappointment of not being able to shoot the reformatory, I made a right out of the prison, and decided to just take a leisurely drive towards downtown Mansfield to see what I could find.

I came across a series of abandoned industrial buildings, and I was no longer disappointed.

In the photo below, if it looks strange that the sky is visible through the interior of this building, that's because it is.  The building is being torn down, and all that's left is this exterior wall!  Kind of scary, if you ask me!  I'd like to know how a stiff breeze doesn't bring it all down!
(ISO 100, 10mm, f3.5, 1/500)
(ISO 100, 10mm, f3.5, 1/1000)

(ISO 100, 11mm, f3.5, 1/800)

(ISO 100, 22mm, f4.5, 1/400)

So expect to see some great photos of the reformatory from me someday....but for now, I was pretty happy to find some other abandoned buildings!

Brian

1 comment: